Monday, March 4, 2013

Chicken!!! And My Longest Running Week Ever.

              This was not only my longest running week ever, but it was a week of damn good runs; back to back to back to back 10 milers, and a long Sunday 21. Our pace has been consistent through the week and with each run, and the 10 milers are beginning to feel like an easy run. Now to just get some more hill training in! Cayuga 50 here I come..and while I'm on it...I've been thinking that maybe it's not a bad idea to just knock a 100 out this year...let's just say it's rolling around in my noggin.
         When I say rolling around, I mean I have the registration dates in my calender and am pretty well set. That's some crazy shit to wrap my head around.  I can't get the idea out of my head though, and with a running partner who has two 100's planned for the season, the idea is fully supported.  For me I know if I do register, I will be putting together a bit more structured training plan once the base is super solid.  I'm excited just thinking about it.

Sun up from the Sunday long run.

Tuesday 2/26   -trail. 

10 miles

I went to bed feeling sick on Monday and thought sleeping in would help, so I skipped our morning run and took an afternoon run instead. The congestion subsided long enough for me to get in the groove. I actually had planned on running about 6 or 7, but it felt good to get going and I ended up with 10.

Wednesday 2/27  -trail with Matt

10.13 miles

Same route as the 10 from last week.  It's easy in a time crunch and we know we can get it done in under 2 hours, get going, and make it to work on time. All the morning runs start with headlamps, so a bit flatter trail has been the way to go in the early morning.

Thursday 2/28   -trail with Matt

10.03 miles

I had a hell of a time sleeping the night before...the sickness is creeping in slowly and settling in my sinuses...shitty.  But, as usual, the cold air and that dirty, gravely sound of my shoes hitting the ground just seems to wake me up no matter what.


Friday  3/1        -trail with Matt

10.02 miles

I'll be honest, I was dragging a bit by this time, but I was impressed I was able to get my feet back under me and get the mileage done.  It was honestly nice knowing that a rest day was coming up, but satisfying getting the miles in.


Sunday 3/3         -trail with Matt

21 miles

Longest run thus far.  We were the first ones on the trail and didn't see anyone else for about 3 hours.  I don't think there is anything better than that. It's so satisfying to go into the afternoon with a long run done.  The trails were pretty dry which was a nice break from my earlier Tuesday run.  Can't wait to keep the long ones going.

Weekly Total: 61.18

This week I learned my body can handle more than I initially thought this early in the game.  I feel good on my runs, but I need to eat more. I have gotten into the bad habit of not eating on our runs. I don't eat in the morning before or during our runs.  On Sunday I drank about 150 calories; I use Hammer Nutrition Heed in my bottles (I'm a fan of the melon). I didn't drink enough water and only ate five Honey Stinger chews through the full 21 miles.  I have to really work on remembering to eat and drink more to get through stronger.  Not eating isn't going to cut it in a 50 mile race; and certainly not in a 100.

Go get some miles.


Delicious Roasted Rosemary Garlic Chicken


Tasty and super easy.
I'm a fan of this chicken, since it's easy and is pretty much a one stop deal when you add the veggies.  Put brussels sprouts, carrots, and baby potatoes with the chicken stuffed with fresh garlic and a sprig of fresh rosemary.  Cover the chicken with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, and paprika.  Cook on 375 for about an hour and fifteen minutes.

And a fun quick dessert to go with it.

Delicious grain-free strawberry shortcake.



I used a recipe from the site wellnessmama.com. It was super fast and good. I mixed everything up while I was getting ready to pull the chicken out of the oven.  By the time I had the chicken sliced and veggies on the plate, it was time to pull these babies out.  Perfect timing and still warm enough for dessert.  I covered the shortcake with fresh sliced strawberries and warm coconut cream concentrate.  Enjoy it.  I'm going to try them again for some more savory dishes too.

No comments:

Post a Comment