Sunday, April 7, 2013

Another Week Closer to 50. (Plus Greek Meatballs and Spinach Pie)

This was a pretty good week all in all.  Mid-range mileage, but I was able to focus on some harder effort runs, which was nice. It's always good to get the heart pumping!  I started out the week on a good, long note...and finished on a low one.  Just didn't feel like moving, so I bagged it and cooked all day instead.  Our West Rim Trail effort is officially less than a month away (May 1) and the Cayuga 50 is closing in...

Monday 4/1    17.01    Trail                3:16

I started out my day bright and early at the gym and led a portion of the workout.  I was feeling so good after, and had Monday off due to some scheduling changes, that I decided to go for an easy 12-15.  It turned into 17 and that is a-ok.  The trail I took turned into a total rock scrambling session and there were places I couldn't run at all.  I had to take my hand-helds off and do a bit of climbing around, but eventually got back on decent running trails and went with it.  It was nice to get a late 9:40 mile in (mile 14) and a good mix of hills and flats for the total.

Tuesday 4/2     8.01    Trail with Matt        1:27

This was Matt's first day back after his 100k.  It was good to run with him again and nice to get out in the dark!  I had to head to Maryland from here, so we decided to cut it short so I wouldn't be late.  Too bad traffic wasn't quite as considerate and I was late anyway.

Wednesday  4/3      5.02    Paved Trail in Maryland       43:05

The one thing I enjoy about some of my work trainings is that there is always someone game to run.  This morning was no exception; 6:45ish out-and-back before the day began.  I had some great company and moving just felt great.  I hit a 7:45 mile at 4 and kept it 8 through the last.  It felt good to get some speed in and I want to pepper more in throughout my weeks.

Friday  4/5           6.00       Road with Hill Repeats         54:42

I had yet another day off this week and although I had a good bit on my to-do list, I got out for a good 6.  I did a big loop around my neighborhood and ended with a mile + off repeats and headed home with a 9:07 avg. pace.

Saturday 4/6           5.02   Road After Work             42.20

I had a great day at work.  It went by quickly and the weather was beautiful.  I wasn't planning on a run at all, as Saturdays are usually an off day for me so I run long on Sunday, but I couldn't help it.  I changed and headed out the door as soon as I got home.  Running faster felt good and I went for it.  I had another 7:45 mile and then ended with an 8:26 avg. pace.

Sunday 4/7          5.57   Trail                         1:08

Today was one of those days it wasn't worth heading out for a run.  I woke up not feeling like running and avoided heading out early by drinking coffee instead.  I walked the first half mile to the trail and just didn't feel like moving.  My legs were heavy and my head just wasn't in it today.  Instead of slogging on, I decided to bag it and turned around.

Weekly Total: 46.63
  I learned that it's good to listen to your body and take a day off if you feel like you need it.  October is a long time away and I don't want to overdo it and burn out.  Consistency is key and staying healthy is of the utmost importance.
  Go get some miles.

Cooking was on the menu instead!

Greek Meatballs

1 lb. ground lamb
1 lb. ground beef
1 egg
2 tps. oregano
1 tps. garlic powder
1 Tbs. onion flakes (I used onion powder and added a little more)
2 Tbs. fresh mint
zest of 1 lemon (I didn't have one so I squeezed in a little lemon juice)
1/4 cup feta cheese

1.) Pre heat oven to 350
2.) Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl
3.) Form meat into balls and fill baking dish
4.) Bake between 30-40 minutes

Spinach and Feta Pie


For the filling:

1/2 cup spinach (thawed from frozen), or 2 cups fresh spinach
 1 cup fresh sorrel, chopped ( I used dandelion greens)
 1 cup fresh Swiss chard, chopped (I used more spinach)
 1 cup of other green leaves you got (e.g. chopped amaranth, kale, collards, beets, dandelion etc). Use more spinach & swiss chard if you can’t find such kinds of greens.
 2 leeks, cut in 1/4-inch rounds
 4 scallions (or 1/2 of a big onion), chopped
 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
 1/2 cup cauliflower, “riced” with a shredder*  ( I left this out)

 100 gr feta cheese, crumbled (optional, only if you do dairy)
 salt to taste


For the batter:

 1 Tbs. sour cream or yogurt, or 2 Tbs. coconut milk if you don’t do dairy
 Juice of a 1/2 lemon
2 Tbs. fine coconut flour or tapioca
 1/3 cup olive oil
 1 or 2 eggs
 1/2 cup warm water


1.) Mix the filling ingredients except cauliflower and feta, careful to get most of the water out
2.) Mix together until it looks wilty and add in feta and cauliflower
3.) In a second bowl, mix batter ingredients
4.) Blend in batter to filling and mix, careful not to mash to feta.
5.) Put in pan about 2 inches thick
6.) Bake on 400 for 40-45 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment