Sunday, February 24, 2013

My week in running, and my very own Butternut Squash and Kale Soup

      This was a great week.  One of the highest running weeks I've had.  Since I have run only 50k's previously, my weekly mileage goals were between 35-45 miles.  Since I'm bumping this season up to a 50 miler, seems to only make sense to bump up the weekly mileage too...I'm on my way.
      I haven't included any heart rate info for the runs this week.  Although I have been keeping an eye on hr while I'm running, I have been running by comfort instead, which on many days keeps the pace up and on others lets it drop.  I'm ok with that since my goal for the 50 is to cross the line. Speed comes later in the season before the string of 50k's start up.
The sun just started to come up in the creek.


Tuesday 2/19             -Trail with Matt

8.4 miles

Good chilly morning and the shortest trail run of the week, but a great start nonetheless.

Wednesday 2/20        -Trail

12 miles

Wiss run.  Great route, felt good.  I enjoyed getting out there and getting my head in the game.  It was a day to clear my head out and get some events in order.  I charged the hills, moved through the flats, and picked solid lines on the downhills. I left my weariness on the trail and emerged with a new outlook.  I don't think there is a more successful way to end a run. Change is good for the soul!

Thursday 2/21            -Trail with Matt

10 miles.

Early morning; good pace and a great shake out after my 12 miler.

Friday 2/22                  -Trail with Matt

10 miles

A little slower than Thursday, but getting the miles in.

Saturday 2/23            -Road with Heather

Rainy grey morning, but out for a change of scenery with the road.  Was able to muster a little speed under my tired legs for the last mile or so.

Weekly total:  47.4
   A good week overall.  Upping the mileage and getting my head in order.  I couldn't think of a better combination.  Cheers to the trail ahead, the trails behind, and the trails we haven't yet discovered.

Go get some miles.



Here's the first recipe I made up...I'm sure there are some out there, but I didn't look anything up to cook.  I thought it up while I was trying to fall asleep.

Butternut Squash and Kale Soup


Not the most beautiful soup, but it was pretty darn good.

1 Large Butternut Squash
1 lb. Kale
1/2 White Onion
4 Cloves Garlic
1 1/2 cup Bone Broth (or broth of choice)
3 Strips Bacon
Salt and Pepper

1.) Set oven to 375 degrees
2.) Peel and cube butternut squash
3.) Coat squash in coconut oil and put in oven for 45 min
4.) Cook bacon until crispy and set aside
5.) Tear kale from rib and cook down in bacon grease.  Add salt
6.) Chop onion and garlic and cook until tender
7.) Add onions, garlic, kale, and squash to stock pot and add stock
8.) Use immersion blender to puree
9.) Add salt and pepper to taste
10.) Top with crumbled bacon and eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment